Thursday, May 24, 2007

New Music


I (Mike Barker) do a bit of composing on the side. Nothing comes easy, and it's a long time between projects. But every now and then the effort pays off. I am having a set of Christmas carol arrangements for flute and organ published by MorningStar Music. I had the proofs in January, and just got my complimentary copies last week. The book is available now, and will be promoted heavily late this summer for the 2007 Advent-Christmas season. I wrote these three pieces to be part of a concert at Crestwood Church a few years ago. After the season, I did some serious editing and sent them off. I didn't hear anything for a long time. Then I had a letter last fall asking if they were still available, i.e. not yet published by another firm. I hope there are plenty of church musicians who will find these useful. I had fun writing them, and our performance (my wife, Libby, did the flute for the premier) was well received. Visiting the link you can see images of several pages from the score, and hear clips from two of the three arrangements. Tell your friends!

2 comments:

mountaindent said...

Amazed that you have the time to create...you do sleep? glad you are a part of this church.I will keep close tabs on this blog...don't want to miss anything this exciting.

Mike Barker said...

I am all for a good nap in the middle of the afternoon! I wrote these in 2003, out of desparation. I had to fill a concert program, and didn't want to do it all by myself. So I made it an "organ plus" concert. I called on my violinist, my oboist, and my dear wife for this piece. Next work in the works is a set of pieces for trumpet with organ based on the vision of seven trumpets from Revelation. If I can ever get beyond the "thinking" stage, it might interseting!