Monday, October 6, 2008

Looking for some mentors

I had a first rehearsal with youth bell ringers and youth choir singers yesterday evening. It was very exciting: There were 8 ringers for bells. Double what we had last year. Problem is the new four are totally new to ringing. We had 9 singers for youth choir. Lots of enthusiasm, but, especially among the boys, not a whole lot of confidence.

Thus began a note to our adult musicians this morning. I continued with this:

I would like your help in identifying some mentors to help me with these groups. Bell ringers for the youth bells (1 person, no more than 2) and singers for youth choir (one male; one female). These persons need to be pretty solid in their own abilities and be able to guide and lead new talent. A big part of the job is yucking it up with the kids and being pals with them while also modeling good rehearsal behavior.

In bells it will be a matter of helping mark up music and tap out beats and correct technique; maybe some subbing when someone is away. In singing it will be a matter of learning notes quickly and leading the section(s) vocally. Especially in choir the mentor needs to be comfortable with and facile at contemporary music as well as traditional church anthem fare.

These are the future church musicians, so mentoring them at this stage is vital. As director I can do quite a bit, but nothing compares with having a sympathetic partner in music-making right beside the young singer or ringer.

Please help me think who might be interested and qualified and willing to help out in this way. Notice I am not explicitly asking any of you to take this on. You can volunteer yourself, but be mindful of your own prior commitments.

We'll talk about it in rehearsal. Thanks very much!

One of the most important parts of my music career was playing in brass ensemble as a teenager at my church. The other players were adult men. Most were a whole lot better than I, but everyone of them wanted the best for me as a musician and as a young Christian. I still reflect on that experience from time to time. It motivates considerably my collaborative methodology of church music practice. I'll keep you posted on what shakes loose.

No comments: