Saturday, January 29, 2011

The pump organ, part 1


I began work today cleaning the pump organ that used to be the primary musical instrument at our church. The organ had reverted to the family of its donors at some point, moved around some, and most recently was in a home on Dougherty Street here in town. Last year, the family sold that home and gave the organ back to the church. I also have done a little research on the building. We are in possession of #12295 built by the Shipman Organ Company of High Point, NC. Apparently they were active from about 1905 through the mid 1920's. The organ was returned to us with a bench; it doesn't seem to be original to the instrument, but may serve its purpose with a little cleaning and replacing the cushion covering.

I am beginning a "restorative cleaning" of the instrument. I am going to clean the exterior and poke around the interior just a bit to make sure everything inside is fairly secure. I can tell already that the thin piece of wood that covers the base of the instrument is in sad shape. I'm going to see how best to deal with it: leave it alone (and let is possibly disintegrate) or replace it. Otherwise I'm just going to clean the exterior and probably re-glue the sharps (they are in two pieces, glued together and most of them have snapped apart.) Not too big a deal to repair. Several of the decorative elements of the case have been removed; I plan to clean and reattach them. The straps that connect the foot treadles to the bellows are broken. I think I'll leave them alone. The bellows are probably leaky, and I intend to leave them alone also. John Dower's firm (who curate the Reuter pipe organ) have some experience re-leathering pump organ bellows, so I may investigate having them do that on this instrument if I can find the funds.
Today I mostly just vacuumed the exterior and interior and sorted pieces. The decorative elements all seem to be present. The lid for the keyboard has come apart. I think I can re-glue it with not too much hassle. Then it will be a job for Murphy's Oil Soap and elbow grease.
Stay tuned...

No comments: