Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Three Choral Anthems

Harold Friedell's "Draw us in the Spirit's tether" has been for me, for quite some time, a "perfect piece of choral music (even with the somewhat dated 6-5 suspension at the end). The tune (UNION SEMINARY) is drop-dead gorgeous (usually in luscious A-flat major), and the text for communion, with its numerous and subtle allusions to scripture is glorious. (Published: HW Gray)

Several years ago Mike Bedford wrote "Now to praise the name of Jesus" as his answer to the Friedell anthem. It has the same stately feel, flowing in triple meter. The text has just a couple of weak turns of phrase, but is all in all fine, fine poetry. The piece (in stately F major) includes a soaring descant, including a high-A for the sopranos. It concludes with a solemn "amen." (For those who know me, you know that in my book this would be the only draw-back: I hate "amens.") But all in all a very nice piece. (Published: Presser)

This winter I discovered Philip Young's new setting of the text "O the deep, deep love of Jesus." Again in triple meter, with a beautiful melody. I only wish the text were explicitly eucharistic: it would make a perfect match to the other two. Alas, it joins their ranks missing that one hallmark. Yet, it still makes the cut. The melody is just that pretty. The only real drawback to the piece is that it changes key for each stanza (B-flat, C, D, not even interesting key relations). One key would have been ideal, two tolerable. It misses greatness by relying on too many changes in key. It has a very nice counter-melody at the end. No "amen." (Published: Lorenz {I know!})

I have not had to introduce any choir I've worked with to the Friedell piece. It's that much of a choral repertoire staple. I have purchased Bedford's anthem everywhere I've been staff musician. With the caveats noted above, I would commend the third to my colleagues. And to any chorister, I would commend the text of all three anthems. "Read, mark, learn and inwardly digest them." You owe it to yourself.

No comments: