Sunday, April 29, 2012

Thanks

Friends of ours worshiped with us this morning.  It was kind of neat seeing folks we are accustomed to seeing at the ball field join us in worship.  I had a chance to speak with them after the service, but moved on and left them chatting with Libby and proceeded toward the narthex and my office.  I was stopped a couple of times along the way by folks (Hugh Farrior waxing poetic on the ministering power of music among them) who wanted to express appreciation for the music in the service.  At one point those guests caught up with me.  the gentleman said to me as he passed something to the effect of, "Gee, I don't hear that sort of thing at my work!"

So, a couple of things:
1. Thank you for being so effusive and demonstrative with your praise and appreciation for all of the music that takes place in worship.  I suppose it's easy to get a little accustomed to hearing your thanks.  I and all our musicians need to remember that we would quickly starve if the thanks were to cease. So, really, "thanks."
2.  Try to be as thankful for folks and their efforts wherever you happen to be.  I don't actually know what this gentleman does.  How much more might any of us thrive when given a little encouragement and praise? Have a good word for your bagger, your waiter, your co-worker, your banker, your janitor, your classmate.  You might make their day.

No comments: