Wednesday, October 15, 2014

PipeScreams, the untold story



When I was in divinity school in Washington, DC I attended an American Guild of Organists event at the Kennedy Center with friends. It was billed as Pipe Screams and involved several prominent organists in the area sharing the program. I don't remember too much more about it, other than my reaction being that if I were going to ever be involved in church music again, one of my goals would be to do a concert like that.

Fast forward 5 years or so and I had indeed left ordained ministry and was back in church music. It took a couple more years, but when I was in Ashland, VA I did my own PipeScreams concert. I strove to target the children and youth in our congregation as attendees and got a handful of older students to help with set-up and decorations. The second year I borrowed a fog machine from my wife's work (Richmond Ballet); the kids hung all kinds of spooky decorations in the organ chambers. We all had a blast with it.

When I landed in Black Mountain, NC 8 years ago, I began PipeScreams again, in my third year. It's been a big hit. A couple of years in I got a church member to construct a couple of home-made fog machines. We invite everyone to come in costume; plenty of folks of all ages do. We have tried getting flyers in the hands of school students to encourage them to attend. We've tried newspaper and radio publicity. But the biggest thing that has drawn folks has been word of mouth, as the event has held steady over the years.

I have tried different gimmicks along the way. One year a young attendee was so struck by the fog that she draw a picture of the organ with "smoke" coming out of it. The next year, I used that image on the cover of the program. Three different years I have had piano students of mine play one of their "spooky" sounding pieces on the organ as part of the program. Most years I do a short introduction to the organ about halfway through the event: I explain some basics about the instrument, let a couple of kids blow a pipe; that sort of thing. The repertoire has held steady over the years with some perennial favorites. I have introduced different music and rotate through those titles over the course of several years. If you're interested you can view my working repertoire document here.
 PipeScreams is one of three organ events I do during the year. I do a child-friendly Christmas concert in December. I also do a more formal "sacred concert" for Good Friday most years. I feel that PipeScreams and JinglePipes lay the groundwork for a child or older student to experience the Good Friday concert. I haven't had this pattern in place long enough to really see folks (children) making that connection and making the transition from the "fun" concerts to the more "serious" one. But I am hopeful that I'll see that soon.

We've begun our publicity for PipeScreams this year, but I could use some help with a title. Read below for the previous year's names. Drop a note in the comments if you have an idea.

PipeScreams
PipeScreams II, Scream Louder
PipeScreams III, Nightmare on Montreat Road
PipeScreams IV, Smokin' Pipes
PipeScreams V, Mikey's Back
PIpeScreams VI, ????

No comments: