Saturday, February 11, 2012

Music for 021212

FirstLight
Gathering Song(s)
Tuya es la gloria
All hail the power of Jesus’ name

Opening Song
Blessed be your name

Confession
Glory to God

Scripture/Proclamation
Open your ears, O faithful people

Offertory
Mighty to save

Doxology
Give thanks

Closing Song
Did you feel the mountains tremble

11 AM
Hymns
478, Praise, my soul, the King of heaven (LAUDA ANIMA)
294, Wherever I may wander (NEW ENGLAND)
379, My hope is built on nothing less (SOLID ROCK)

Confession
2043, Celtic Alleluia (CELTIC ALLLEUIA)

Anthem
Manz, E’en so Lord Jesus quickly come
Peace be to you and grace from Him
Who freed us from our sin
Who loved us all, and shed his blood
That we might saved be.
Sing holy, holy to our Lord
The Lord almighty God
Who was and is, and is to come
Sing holy, holy Lord.
Rejoice in heaven,all ye that dwell therein
Rejoice on earth, ye saints below
For Christ is coming,
Is coming soon
For Christ is coming soon.
E'en so Lord Jesus quickly come
And night shall be no more
They need no light, no lamp, nor sun
For Christ will be their All!

Doxology
OLD HUNDREDTH

Instrumental/Organ Music
Prelude: Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Arietta
Offertory: Gerre Hancock, Prelude in B-flat
Postlude: Fela Sowande, Joshua fit the battle of Jericho

During February I am exploring the organ music of African-American composers, but because this month also overlaps with our congregation's emphasis on global mission, I am going further afield than just composers from the US. Last week I drew upon the music of Florence B. Price and Adolphus Hailstork. This week I will play a piece by Coleridge-Taylor who was born in Great Britain, the child of an English woman and a Sierra Leonean man. He toured the US three times and from those experiences was driven to explore his African roots in his composing efforts. I am also playing a piece by Fela Sowande who likewise was not American. Born in Nigeria, he studied in Great Britain and lived there for many years. However, he eventually came to teach at Kent State University and ultimately died in the US. Finally I should note that Gerre Hancock was not African-American nor had any other racial ties to Africa. He recently died, so I felt it meet that I should play a piece of his I've had in my library for some time but never used in worship before.

No comments: